Galvanized steel is one of the most popular materials used in a variety of industries. Not only is it extremely strong and durable, but galvanized steel can also be highly versatile.
Coating steel with a layer of zinc during the galvanization process provides the metal with enhanced corrosion resistance, making it a phenomenal, reliable choice for numerous industries.
What’s more, compared to other high-performance materials, galvanized steel can offer incredible strength, with minimal cost. However, while the galvanized coating on a steel surface can offer additional protection, it’s often important to find additional ways of minimizing corrosion.
Over time, corrosion can have a significant impact on the lifespan of your machinery, products, and equipment. Extra protections, such as a robust powder coating, can increase the longevity of your components and products, while also improving their aesthetic appeal.
Today, we’re going to explore the benefits a powder coat can bring to galvanized steel for corrosion protection, durability, versatility, and more.
Understanding Galvanized Steel
To fully understand the benefits of a powder coat for galvanized steel, it’s worth first understanding the structure and components of galvanized steel products. Galvanization is a manufacturing process which involves applying a layer of zinc to steel or iron to prevent rusting.
There are various methodologies companies can use to galvanize steel, but the most common strategy is “hot dip galvanizing”. With hot dip galvanizing, clean, processed steel is immersed into molten zinc. This leads to the formation of various zinc-iron layers, formed by a metallurgical reaction between the iron and the zinc. The robust resulting coating becomes an integral part of the steel.
Galvanized steel is one of the most popular types of steel in the manufacturing industry, because of its phenomenal durability, strength, and versatility. In fact, the Galvanized steel market is currently growing at a CAGR of 4.11%. The zinc coating on the steel protects the base metal, acting as a barrier against corrosive elements.
The durable structure of the resulting steel makes it applicable to a variety of industries, and projects, including the solar, automotive, and construction landscapes.
The Benefits and Limitations of Galvanized Steel
Galvanized steel can offer a lot of distinct benefits to companies. Compared to most treated steels, galvanized steel is relatively affordable. What’s more, it’s usually ready to be used as soon as it’s delivered, with no need for additional preparations, saving companies money on development.
Galvanized steel benefits from:
- Exceptional durability: Galvanization is one of the best ways to protect steel against corrosion. The zinc conversion coating added to the steel during hot dip galvanizing gives it exceptional corrosion resistance, making it ideal for high-moisture and outdoor environments.
- Versatility: Galvanized steel can be used in a variety of different environments which might not be suitable for stainless steel and other materials. Galvanization creates a predictable, resilient, and reliable surface for a variety of products.
- Low maintenance: Galvanized steel often requires very little maintenance, particularly when the surface is treated with another protective solution, such as powder coating. Because these materials last a long time, they also increase the longevity of products and machinery.
Unfortunately, there are downsides to galvanization too. As mentioned above, galvanized steel isn’t fully protected from all forms of damage and rust. It may still be necessary to seek out extra environmental protections. This is particularly crucial in environments where the steel may be exposed to extreme conditions or highly corrosive substances.
Additionally, galvanized steel may be resilient, but it’s not always the most attractive material. Galvanization generally gives components a characteristic grey or metallic appearance, which may not be suitable for all aesthetics or situations.
The Power of Powder Coating for Galvanized Steel
One of the most intuitive finishing methods used in the industrial world, powder coating acts as a powerful way to enhance the durability and appearance of galvanized steel. Powder coating is a unique type of dry finishing process, which involves applying electrostatically charged powder, often available in a range of colors or textures, to a specific surface.
As an intuitive finishing technique, powder coating offers a variety of benefits. Powder coating substrates can adhere perfectly to a range of surfaces, in different shapes and designs, offering uniform coverage. The powder-coated surface benefits from a sleek, smooth surface that’s easy to clean and maintain. Plus, powder coating is resistant to both fading and chipping.
When companies invest in powder coating for galvanized steel, a piece of material is prepared using charging methodologies, to ensure the powder can electrostatically adhere to the material. Powder is uniformly applied to the full surface before the item is cured in a high-temperature oven. This high temperature causes the powder to melt and form a durable finish.
Part of what makes powder coating such an appealing choice for many companies is its versatility. Powder coating companies like Powder Coat Services can offer finishes in a range of colors and textures, allowing for exceptional customization and creativity.
Powder Coating is the Ultimate Solution for Galvanized Steel
When applied correctly, a powder coat for galvanized steel can offer incredible benefits. The durability offered is much greater than any other liquid coating method, like paint or varnishing. What’s more, powder coating gives companies excellent control over the finished appearance of each item, allowing for exceptional branding opportunities.
Used correctly, powder coating can offer:
- Enhanced durability and corrosion resistance: Powder coating takes the corrosion resistance and durability of galvanized steel to the next level. It provides a robust layer of protection, capable of withstanding harsh conditions and abrasion far better than most other finishing strategies. Powder coating is even resistant to chips, scratches, and fading.
- Improved aesthetics: As mentioned above, the finish of galvanized steel might not appeal to every situation. With powder coating, companies can enhance their appearance of their steel products, with a smooth, consistent finish in any color or texture. There are numerous color options and effects available, giving companies more freedom with design flexibility.
- Greater sustainability: Compared to other finishing strategies, powder coating can be a far more sustainable and environmentally friendly solution. There are little to no volatile organic compounds (VOCs) produced during the coating process. Additionally, unused, or extra powder can be recycled for other purposes.
Can You Powder Coat Galvanized Steel?
Notably, there are a few rules and guidelines companies need to follow when applying a powder coat to galvanized steel. Without the correct preparation and application strategies, companies can occasionally suffer from issues associated with incomplete curing, poor adhesion, and “pin holing”.
Though powder coating is a highly versatile solution, compatible with a range of materials, from iron, to steel, and other metals, the surface needs to be prepared carefully to ensure the right results. Any damage or defects to the steel need to be removed before the powder coating is applied. Additionally, the surface needs to be thoroughly cleaned and dried before the powder coat is applied.
Before applying a powder coating, professionals need to ensure no surface contaminants are present on the material, which could interact with the zinc layer. Chemical cleaning solutions and acidic solutions can sometimes result in stripping the steel from the surface.
Additionally, in order for the steel to respond effectively to the coating, the surface must be profiled before the powder is applied. Some professionals use iron phosphate conversion coating methods to enhance adhesion and reduce the risk of corrosion. The phosphate treatment is often applied to the steel for a few minutes, before being washed away and left to dry, prior to the powder coating.
Powder Coat Services: The Preferred Choice
To avoid potential risks and issues with the powder coating process, it’s important to access the assistance and guidance of an experienced powder coating team. At Powder Coat Services, we specialize in offering versatile powder coating services to companies from a range of industries.
Our expert team uses ISO-certified processes to ensure absolute quality and durability. Plus, we have years of experience working with various materials, including galvanized steel.
With support from Powder Coat Services, you can benefit from:
- Experienced professionals: Our expert teams have years of experience working with galvanized steel. They understand the unique qualities of galvanized steel solutions, and use proven techniques to ensure the successful completion of every powder coating project. We’ve even developed specific techniques tailored to galvanized steel projects.
- Customized solutions: At Powder Coat Services, we understand that different materials and projects can come with their own unique demands. We tailor our powder coating solutions to meet the specific needs of different applications. This ensures we can offer every business an entirely bespoke service, ready to help them achieve their goals.
- Quality control: We believe in delivering excellence with every project. This means using stringent quality assurance methods to enhance your results. We follow ISO 9001:2015 certified powder coating processes, and leverage more than 35 years of experience in our industry to give you absolute peace of mind.
With our expertise and commitment to excellence, you can rest assured that your powder coated galvanized steel will always live up to your expectations.
Enhancing Galvanized Steel with Powder Coating
On its own, galvanized steel offers a variety of benefits, from excellent durability and versatility to fantastic cost savings. However, there are still limitations companies need to overcome to ensure their galvanized steel products are delivering exceptional results.
With powder coating for galvanized steel from Powder Coat Services, you can unlock higher levels of durability, environmental friendliness, and stunning aesthetics. Our experienced team will work with you to make the most out of your products, no matter how complex.
Make sure you’re getting the most out of your galvanized steel, with a powder coating service that’s tailored to you. Reach out to the Powder Coat Services team today to learn more about our finishes, color options, solutions, and prices. Alternatively, contact us here to request a quote for your project.